Skip to main content

Pongal 2014.."Pongalo Pongal"..Sweet Moments



This year Pongal (2014) was an unforgettable moment for me.I had more fun this time when compared to previous ones, this was mainly because I got long vacation holiday and time I spent with my family was more... I went to my hometown three days before pongal and helped my parents in arrangements and get necessary things... Last year I was not able to celebrate pongal due to my wife was pregnant and we haven’t travelled to my hometown to celebrate it...We always use to celebrate pongal in traditional way instead of  preparing pongal in gas stow..Since we have farm in village near by bhavani, I took few things from there in car as in Coimbatore it will too costly during festival times.

On Saturday (11th Jan 2014), the day was dedicated to shopping. I and my family listed out the things for shopping. I started the Car ignition by noon and moved towards Gadhipuram for shopping. Parked the car in Lakshmi complex and had lunch in Annapurna, I don’t why my mom always prefers this hotel for eating but the food taste will be good when compared to other hotels…After having lunch we moved inside shridevi for dress shopping , got few dresses for my son and for my sister daughter. During shopping, my son started crying due to suffocation there, my wife got him outside and later we found that my son is very keen in seeing moving objects outside rather than shopping. Shopping almost went for 4 hours and we are back to home. Kept the dress in pooja room, watched TV for a while and went to bed early.

Sunday (12th Jan 2014), the day was dedicated to cleaning home for festival. Family members sorted out the work for each and started working towards that. I was assigned to paint outside concrete floor with cow dung... Since I don’t the mixing amount of water and cow dung in correct proportion so I asked my father to prepare for me and I also learnt how to do it... I started to paint, after a long time I am doing good amount of physical work that actually made to sweat a lot. The work almost for three hours to paint 300 sq feet of area, to energize me my wife gave coffee for every one hour. My sister cleaning pooja room, wife and mom cooking for lunch, Dad washing clothes and removing dust inside home and my son was in dreams. The whole day went in cleaning home.

The Festival day came and it starts with sankranti (Kappu Kattu), I plucked some bunch of neem leaves and a flower which will be tied with the neem leaves together… I surfed in the internet why do people celebrate sankranti ..“The first day of festival is Bhogi (போகி). It is celebrated by throwing away and destroying old clothes and materials, by setting them on fire, marking the end of the old and the emergence of the new. Also in a villages there will be a simple ceremony of "Kappu Kattu" (kappu means secure) will be done. The 'neem' leaves are kept along the walls and roof of the houses. This is to eliminate the evil forces.”  After the “Kaapu Katu” is done, I brought some red bricks from a nearby place and started arranging for pongal the next day... Collected dry woods and coconut shell as the fuel for fire and all set for the big day.


Pongal day came, Woke up early and wore new dress; as usual dhoti for gents and cotton saree for ladies...Cleaned the mud pot, rice and few more stuffs... Since I am elder son and my wife is mutha marumagal, she is supposed to keep pongal this time... She was used to gas stow cooking in her mom place and this was new to her so my mom helped her in each and every work, she learnt from mom and done accordingly...She kept the mud pot in between the bricks , poured some water , milk inside the pot and lighted the fire with her lucky hand.. After lighting, we took each corner between each of us and fueled the non-petroleum stow… The side where the milk flows outside at the end is the winner, my sister daughter also participated in this competition and at the last my sister family won the game and all together we said Pongalo pongal... It was so much fun and we enjoyed the festival... Turmeric plant was tied with pot and sugarcane was tied in triangle shape between the bricks and the sweet pongal was prepared... And the time came to pray god sun, where new boiled rice is offered to the Nature during sunrise, a gesture which symbolizes thanks to the sun and nature for providing prosperity...We prayed god and ate pongal which tasted awesome and ate sugar cane which I brought from my village farm…After a long time, all the family members sat together for lunch and had heavy food by cracking jokes and watching movies on the side.. And on the day of Maatu pongal we used to go to a hill temple near my village, where people prepare food and eat together by sharing. This time, we haven’t gone there to enjoy the day... Instead I spent the time with my family. Five days of vacation went so soon and back to Bangalore for work… Then I thought

“Why the hell , time move fast during vacation but not during office working days”..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baralikaadu - A Bike Ride in Forest...

  How To reach Baralikaadu : Take Coimbatore - Mettupalayam Road.. After Crossing Kaaramadai Temple take first left...Go further for 10 Kms and take the route goes to velaiyagkaadu (Foot Hills of Baralikaadu)... Drive 30 - 35 Kms to reach Baralikaadu (Drive Slowly , Driving in Hill road faster is dangerous)... For Booking Boating and for other activities : Contact : Aandavar ( ஆண்டவர்) - + 91 9047051011    It’s Hard to recall when I spent my weekend day in home and sleeping 22 Hours a day, rest of time just watching TV and eating...A tough question for me to answer!!! .Traveling, that too bike trip excites me a lot…Its gives me some kind Happiness. New people, new environment, unexpected things and so on. Balirrikaadu trip was one of them...It’s the first time for me traveling inside forest area in bike... This place has been in plan for a long time and plan used to get screwed up for some reasons... At last the mission accomplished on 4 th June 2011, Sai one of my colleag

Travel Light - Pack Smart

I tend to stuff more in the luggage back while going to hometown, traveling for a casual trip or business trip to other country. At the end I end up in wasting too much of energy in carrying the luggage where most of the stuffs will not used in the trip. So I started to explore the ways to optimize the luggage space and the stuff needs to go in to the luggage back which avoids burden. Wherever I read for alternate options it’s said “Travel light”. By traveling light, we end in carrying stuff which really needed for the trip and saving the fuel of the vehicle too… “What if someone puts a heavy load on your back and ask you to carry , U waste huge amount of energy , need energy drinks to replenish the body strength (Water , energy drinks) ..Same applies for vehicle, putting too much weight in car decreases the fuel efficiency and end in filling too much of petrol which takes too much of money from your pocket. For instance, If everyone traveling onsite “Travel Light”, more fuel w

A Girl in Candle Light..

  Six months ago when I was walking from office to home via bomanahalli road Bangalore, I saw a girl studying using a candle light... When I asked her why she is stressing her eyes by studying in candle light , she replied tomorrow I have exam and my house haven’t got the power for the past 3 hours.I offered her my Back up torch light and headed towards home.while walking towards the bus top I was thinking what could be the reason for the shortage of electricity in Bang.Is it because of politicians or because of the people who doesn’t care about how worth the electricity is.There is beautiful statement which most of the philosophers says...”If you want to change the people around you or the world,first you need to change”, it’s a worth quote and I follow it often.. After reaching home, I said about the incident to my wife and she said hey purusaa (Husband) why don’t you list of out the things where we are consuming unwanted power daily so that we reduce it where ever